Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Trading My Burden For HIS

After a scare at the park today where I thought for a moment that I had lost my son, those 30 seconds of panic now threaten to hold me captive-- captive to the guilt that makes me think, "How could I have been so stupid?"; captive to the dread that makes me wonder, "What if..."; captive to the fear that it could ever happen again...

Such a tiny moment in time and yet so incredibly powerful as it plays over and over in my head...

...until I remember...
What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
all because we do not carry everything to God in prayer! 
Such a precious reminder from a beautiful old hymn.

The world can be such a frightening place at times, and it can be so tempting to allow those fears and failures to weigh heavily on our shoulders. But our Jesus says instead:
"Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light." Matthew 11:28-30 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment