Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lie No. 14: My Sin Isn't Really That Bad

We look at the world, a world full of murder, rape, hatred, divorce, homosexuality, abuse, drunkenness, and a whole slew of other "serious" sins and we think, "We aren't so bad. Our sins of wasting time, self-protection, talking too much, eating or drinking too much, a sharp tongue, a critical spirit, overspending, fear, worry, selfish motives, or complaining don't seem all that major. We may not even consider them to be sins at all- preferring to think of them as weaknesses, struggles, or personality traits." (p.99)

But the harsh reality is that my sin is just as evil, just as dangerous, just as in need of redemption as the sin of a man who has murdered and raped. While we may see greater consequences here on earth of one sin over another, in God's eyes, they are no different. Christ died on the cross to pay a price for all sin, past, present, and future, and that blood was shed as much for my tendency to be lazy as it was for the father who has abused his children. So when I sin, when I am lazy, when I eat too much, when I act out of a critical spirit, I must be reminded of the price that "little" sin has cost my savior. And it was no small fee. My short temper with the person who cut me off in traffic cost Jesus everything.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23

No comments:

Post a Comment